Sunday, March 15, 2015

PSJ Healthstyle Habits~March 15, 2015

A Happy Sabbath to you all!
And a Happy Birthday to Trevor!



I love my grandchildren;

and I love each of you!

You may have noticed I have changed the title of my PSJ Blog entries to "PSJ Healthstyle Habits." I feel this better reflects what we are trying to accomplish, and that is, to create good habits that contribute to our overall well-being.



As I share various articles reflecting the current studies and beliefs of "experts" in the areas of nutrition, exercise, diseases, etc. I try to glean truths that will be beneficial to me. Fortunately I have one standard that I have trusted as a measurement for discerning what is true within these varying opinions and that standard is the Word of Wisdom and the principles found therein. It is recorded in Doctrine & Covenants Section 89. 

Here are a few notes about it:  

This revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Kirtland, Ohio, February 27, 1833.

It was given as a Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of all people.

It was sent as a greeting; not by commandment or constraint (we have our agency to choose whether we will live it.) But it is the will of God for our benefit.

It was given for a principle with a promise.

It warns us of the consequences of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days. (Is there any doubt that there are those who care more for profits than for the health and well-being of individuals?)

It cautions us to be aware of and refrain from things that will be harmful to us such as tobacco, alcohol, tea, coffee, (but also all other harmful substances such as drugs.)

A major part of the Word of Wisdom is about all the good things for us such as all wholesome herbs (plants) God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

Every herb (plant) in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence (moderation) and thanksgiving.

Also flesh of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life,

All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—

Then comes the Promise:

And all who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.


GOOD FOOD

I have always tried to live the principles found in the Word of Wisdom and can testify that as I have lived them I have truly been blessed with those promises. Especially the "wisdom and treasures of knowledge" that have helped me face the challenges in my life and inspired me to improve my talents.

I am re-dedicating myself to living all the positives found therein such as eating  with gratitude and moderation, whole foods (not processed by conspiring men), more fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and exercising ("run and not be weary, walk and not faint.") I hope to create better Healthstyle Habits by doing so. That is my wish for you too. 



EXERCISE



2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the whole blog post yet but have flagged it to read later today and think about my own health style. Thanks mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your healthy eating models

    ReplyDelete